by Citizens Platform
An attack by gunmen suspected to be members of the deadly sect Boko haram, has led to the to the death of over 44 people in Demba, Borno State.
Reports say the attack is reported to have happened on Monday but details are only just emerging because the area is remote and phone lines have been cut off by authorities to disrupt Boko Haram’s activities.
Suspected Islamist militants killed 44 people when they attacked a village in northeast Nigeria earlier this week, emergency and security sources said on Friday.
A local security source confirmed the death toll. The defense headquarters did not respond to a request for comment.
“They set houses ablaze, shot people and even slit some people’s throats,” an emergency worker told Reuters, asking not to be named to ensure his safety.
The attack coincides with military reported Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau might have died between July 25 and August 4 from gunshot wounds inflicted in a gun battle with security forces.
The assault on Demba village was close to Baga town in northeast Borno state, which was a stronghold of Islamist sect Boko Haram until a military crackdown in mid-May pushed many militants into hiding or across the Cameroon border.
Source: Citizens Platform
Your Opinion Counts. Be sure To Leave A Comment, If You Have Any.
Please Like, Share or Tweet. Your Support Is Appreciated.