Nigeria’s Federal Government on Wednesday declared that the declaration of state of emergency in the North East States of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, the epicenter of the insurgent activities of Boko Haram by President Goodluck Jonathan has helped to preserve the country’s territorial integrity and ensured peace in the area.
The Minister of State for Defence, Erelu Olusola Obada, said this in Abuja after the Federal Executive Council, FEC meeting while appraising the effect of state of emergency declared on 14 May, with Nigeria’s military deploying its full arsenal against the Boko Haram insurgent group in the three states.
The Minister spoke in the wake of the resurgence of the deadly activities of the group in the past few weeks.
Gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram killed about 45 Muslim worshippers in an attack on a Mosque during early morning prayers last Sunday in the twon of Konduga, Borno state. And in a nearby village, 12 persons were also killed.
There had been at least two other attacks by the sect which claimed scores of lives in the past few weeks in various parts of Borno State.
In a video released yesterday, Abubakar Shekau, leader of the Boko Haram Sect claimed responsibility for the twin bomb blast at Sabon-Gari area of Kano which resulted into the death of 30 persons about three weeks ago.
Despite all these killings, the Minister said the emergency rule has been successful because before the declaration, Boko Haram insurgents had almost succeeded in usurping powers from the authority of the Nigerian State in many areas affected.
“If you will recall, you heard that the insurgents were already hoisting their flags all over some of the areas, especially in Borno, they stopped at Bulabulin Nganaram and we thank God for that.
“ A lot has been achieved in three months. It has halted the threat to Nigeria’s unity as you know the unity of this country is paramount. Mr. President as the leader of this country has ensured that the unity of this country is preserved and protected.
“It has also ensured the preservation of the territorial integrity of our country and prevented the usurpation of the authority of the Nigerian state,” she added. The Minister said the Nigerian military has displayed high level of professionalism in dealing with the insurgency because it is actually fighting an internal war.
“And so we need to always observe the rules of engagement and also the respect for human rights and so on,’’ she said.
According to her, some members of the insurgents had been arrested and handed over to the appropriate authorities for prosecution while a lot of dangerous ammunitions had been recovered from the insurgents and the civilian population had shown support in intelligence gathering.
She said civilians living in the affected areas are now are also providing assistance to the military and security agencies in identifying those who are behind these insurgency in their areas and really assisting and doing their best.
This, the Minister said has been aided by the robust civilian military relations offices now in the Defence Headquarters and also in the Nigerian Army Headquarters.
The minister who said the success of the war against Boko Haram has made Nigeria safer for investment, also assured that dependants of soldiers who died in the war against the insurgent group are being taken care of.
Source: PM News
Your Opinion Counts. Be sure To Leave A Comment, If You Have Any.
Please Like, Share or Tweet. Your Support Is Appreciated.