A surge in Boko Haram violence has forced several major aid agencies to suspend operations in part of western Chad, leaving tens of thousands of people without food and health services for weeks, the United Nations said.
More than 150,000 people rely on aid to survive across the islands of Lake Chad, a battleground for the Nigeria-based Islamist militant group Boko Haram, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
Six aid organisations suspended operations in the island areas after a series of militant attacks in late September and early October and have yet to resume, said the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
OCHA declined to name the agencies for security reasons, but the U.N. World Food Program (WFP) said it was one of the six.
Mbili Ambaoumba, UNHCR’s Chad representative, said most aid providers in the region had suspended their activities, and that the attacks are presumed to have been carried out by Boko Haram.
“Aid agencies were providing basic social services such as health, education, and safe drinking water,” he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. “This will definitely have an impact.”
WFP said it had halted food aid in part of the Lac region since a deadly attack on Oct. 10. In September it provided food to about 120,000 displaced people in the area, the agency added.
“The security situation in the Lac region has deteriorated over the past six weeks, with… nocturnal attacks, pillaging and systematic burning of houses,” said a WFP spokeswoman.
OCHA said in a statement that 13 people had been killed and five kidnapped in seven attacks in the Bol and Baga-Sola areas of the Lac region in late September, and that the multinational task force battling Boko Haram had brought in reinforcements.
“Humanitarian actors in Chad are concerned about the resurgence of security incidents in the Lac region,” said OCHA’s interim head of office Abdoulaye Sawadogo.
“They are putting every effort into resuming operations and ensuring safe delivery of aid to the most vulnerable populations,” he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Boko Haram has been fighting for nine years to carve out an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
The violence has killed more than 30,000 people and displaced about 2.7 million across the four countries, but Chad has suffered fewer attacks overall than its neighbours.
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
NIgeria Records 87 New Cases Of COVID-19, Total Infections Now 1,182
By Abujah Racheal
Nigeria has recorded 87 new cases of the COVID-19, bringing the total infections to 1,182 , according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The NCDC, in a tweet via its official handle, said 33 of the new infections were recorded in Lagos, 18 in Borno, 12 in Osun, nine in Katsina, four each in Kano and Ekiti, three each in Edo and Bauchi and one in Imo.
“As at 11:55 pm April 25, there are 1,182 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. The country’s total deaths from the virus now stand at 35, while 222 have been treated and discharged,” it said.
The centre said as at 11:55 pm, April 25, Lagos has 689, FCT-138, Kano-77, Ogun-35, Osun-32, Gombe-30, Katsina-30, Borno-30, Edo-22, Oyo-18, Kwara-11, Akwa Ibom-11, Bauchi-11, Kaduna-10, Ekiti-8 and Ondo-4.
Others are Delta-six, Rivers-three, Jigawa-two, Enugu-two, Niger-two, Abia-two, Zamfara-two, Sokoto-two, Benue-one, Anambra-one, Adamawa-one, Plateau-one and Imo-one.
87 new cases of #COVID19 have been reported;
33 in Lagos
18 in Borno
12 in Osun
9 in Katsina
4 in Kano
4 in Ekiti
3 in Edo
3 in Bauchi
1 in Imo
As at 11:55 pm 25th April there are 1182 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria.
Deaths: 35 pic.twitter.com/La5xzZZe2z
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) April 25, 2020
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria
Buhari Rebukes Oshiomhole’s NWC
President Muhammadu Buhari has publicly disagreed with the National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress over the right of aggrieved members to seek redress in court.
In a statement by Femi Adesina, the president’s media adviser, President Buhari stressed that if anyone is displeased with the way and manner anything has been done, and feels deprived of his/her rights, then such a person is at liberty to approach the courts for redress.
It was the president’s first public reaction to the discontent within the party over the conduct of primaries, in the selection of candidates for elective offices.
Until now, President Buhari had tried to appease members behind the scenes, begging and cajoling aggrieved members to bury the hatchet.
In a different reaction, the NWC of the party headed by former governor Adams Oshiomhole forbade members from dragging the party to court. It even went further to threaten the litigants.
President Buhari disagreed with the party:
“We can’t deliberately deny people of their rights. We agreed that party primaries should be conducted either through direct, indirect or consensus methods, and if anyone feels unjustly treated in the process, such a person can go to court. The court should always be the last resort for the dissatisfied. For the party to outlaw the court process is not acceptable to me.”
In the statement, President Buhari still favoured non-legal approach for reconciliation of the aggrieved as he urged them to embrace the party’s reconciliation panels.
According to Adesina, President Buhari advised members to work with the reconciliation committees empanelled for the six geo-political zones by the APC, and not a purported Presidential Committee on Reconciliation, stressing that the Party is the only body authorised to constitute such committees.
The APC had threatened aggrieved members who have headed to the courts, saying that: “The Party intends to activate constitutional provisions to penalise such members as their action is capable of undermining the Party and hurt the Party’s interest.
“We hereby strongly advise such members to withdraw all court cases, while approaching the appropriate party organs with a view to resolving any outstanding disputes. In addition to this, aggrieved members are urged to take full advantage of the reconciliation committees the Party has put in place.
“APC members should understand that as a progressive party that operates on the principle of change, it is not a matter of choice to keep to the rules.”
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
Over 1000 Workers To Be Employed For Warri-Itakpe Rail
By Taiye Elebiyo-Edeni.
Over 1000 workers will be employed for the Warri-Itakpe standard gauge rail corridor, Mr Fidet Okhiria, the Managing Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) said.
“It’s about 320km, about 12 stations and we have to engage people that will maintain the tracks, people that will work in the stations and sell tickets.
“Also, technicians that will examine the train. So, we are going to engage close to over 1000 to maintain about 320km track, both junior and senior.
“New employees can’t just be sent there; they must be trained.
“In order for them to be trained, we will be moving people from the existing staff, but we have to replace them. So we have to fill up those positions before the new people will be trained and certify to be part of the train operations,” he said.
NAN reports that NRC operates one-year training programme for graduate staff and three months for the junior staff.
According to Okhiria, the 12 stations for the train service are still under construction, adding that temporary stations would be used pending completion.
He, however, assured that the stations would be completed by the first quarter of 2019, noting that some of the houses at the railway village were renovated recently for workers.
Okhiria said that a lot has been achieved, especially in the rail system under the current administration, with the purchase of more rolling stock and wagons.
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
National Identity Number Registration Is Free – NIMC Official
By Jacinta Nwachukwu/ Bukola Adewumi
Mr Loveday Ogbonna, Head, Corporate Communications, National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) says registration for the National Identity Number (NIN) is free of charge to all Nigerians.
Ogbonna, who made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja, said that the commission had never charged anyone for NIN registration.
Some residents in Kubwa, Abuja, had claimed that they were made to pay N200 for logistics before being registered at the ongoing NIMC registration.
But, Ogbonna said that it was not the responsibility of the enrollees to pay money to fuel generators at registration centres.
“The commission absolutely condemns this, it is not right for enrollees to pay money for fueling of the generators before being captured but people also react based on how urgent they need NIN.
“Our staff would have told them that there was no light which is not under their control; however, you know that electricity is not under our purview just like the internet.
“Therefore, if you come to a place that we don’t have electricity and people on their own volunteer to contribute money to fuel the generator, it is out of their own free will.
“Although we don’t encourage it, because that will lead to corruption, but if the people on their own decide to contribute we cannot stop them.
“All these issues are due to paucity of fund, if there is enough money available for the exercise or steady power supply all these things will not happen,’’ Ogbonna.(NAN)
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria (NAN
Cara dan Langkah Download Aplikasi IDN Poker Terbaru
Nigeria records 55 new COVID-19 infections, total now 165,110
Military, Police Ring Abuja to Forestall Boko Haram Attack
UFC: Usman gets N584m after beating Masvidal
Buhari Will Win In 2019: US Institute
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) has predicted that President Muhammadu Buhari will win the 2019 election. The organisation...
Why Buhari Deserves Second Term – Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has said that President Muhammadu Buhari deserved second term election because,...
Atiku Presidential Campaign Council: PDP Releases List of Members
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday released the list of party members to handle the campaign team of the...
Obasanjo Forgives Atiku, Endorses Him For President
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Thursday said he has reviewed his stance on not backing his former deputy for the...
Buhari, Atiku In Battle Of Integrity Over 2019 Poll
THE brickbats continued yesterday between President Muhammadu Buhari and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and...