Jolly Nyame, a former governor of Taraba State, was on Wednesday, 30th of May 2018, jailed 14 years for mismanaging government funds while in office.
Elected three times as governor of the state, Mr Nyame’s trial commenced in 2007 and lasted 11 years.
PREMIUM TIMES brings you 13 things you may not know about the former governor.
1. Jolly Tavoro Nyame was born on Christmas day, December 25, 1955, in Zing Local Government Area of Taraba State.
2. He was born to parents of deep Christian backgrounds and in line with his roots took up a vocation in priesthood.
3. Mr Nyame was ordained a Reverend in the United Methodists Church of Nigeria (UMCN).
4. He delved into politics in 1991, a time when Nigeria attempted to return to democratic rule
5. He contested and won the Taraba State gubernatorial elections thrice in a row.
6. He was the first governor of Taraba State after it was created from the old Gongola State
7. His 1992 tenure as governor was short-lived due to military insurrection in November 1993.
8. When Nigeria finally returned to democratic rule, Mr. Nyame was governor of Taraba State for eight uninterrupted years between 1999 and 2007 – he was re-elected in 2003.
9. Shortly after his tenure expired, he was confronted with criminal charges arising from a petition by Umar Baba and Kelas Obadia titled ‘Taraba State in a Mess; the Commissioner of Finance goofed’.
10. In May 2007, the former governor was charged by the EFCC for allegedly diverting N1.64 billion. Also, in a 41-count charge of fraud.
11. In June 2007, the ex-governor admitted to the EFCC that he took N180 million of the N250 million he approved for the purchase of stationery as his share of the unexecuted stationary contract, and that he was ready to refund same.
12. After 2007, Mr. Nyame still tried to secure a seat in the Senate in 2011 and 2015 but failed.
13. Eleven years (May 30) after the EFCC made the charges against him, he was sentenced to 14 years in prison by a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory. He was also ordered to refund the monies he diverted.
Sourced From: Premium Times Nigeria
Let's Keep You Informed