Malawi coach Tom Saintfiet is to report coach Stephen Keshi to FIFA after the Nigeria coach reportedly called him “a white dude who should go back to Belgium.”
Both coaches have been arguing since Malawi asked FIFA to move next month’s crucial World Cup qualifier from Calabar for safety reasons.
Saintfiet told BBC Sport, “It is unacceptable that any person says these words – it is clear racism. “It is 100% sure that my lawyers will lodge a complaint with FIFA.”
The row erupted earlier this month when the Football Association of Malawi (FAM) wrote to FIFA, seeking a new venue for their 7 September, 2013 Group F qualifier away to the Super Eagles – a match which Malawi, who trail Nigeria by two points, must win to progress to the play-offs.
Belgian Saintfiet told local media at the time that he was concerned about security because he claims “the UK’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office says it is a no-travel area.”
Keshi hit back shortly afterwards, saying “this is where we play our games and other countries are fine with that.”
And the Nigerian Football Federation complied with FIFA’s request for a written guarantee that the game would go ahead safely.
Keshi has now followed that up with comments on UK-based African TV show, Vox Africa’s Sports360, saying: “I think the coach of Malawi is crazy.
“If he wants to talk to FIFA, he should go back to Belgium. He is not an African person, he is a white dude, he should go back to Belgium.”
“I have never used any words like these to any coach. He has no right, who is he?
“All other countries play in Calabar. Calabar is one of the safest places in Nigeria… He is mad. I wish I could say it to his face.”
Saintfiet, who married a Zimbabwean earlier this year, told BBC Sport he is “shocked” by Keshi’s comments and he believes the former Nigeria captain’s words could also lead to trouble at the qualifier.
“These words create hate and aggression, and creates a risk ahead of the match in Calabar,” Saintfiet added.
“These comments are unacceptable and I am very sad about them. I will not say any bad words about Mr Keshi, nor Nigeria – I only spoke about moving the game.
“If FIFA takes racism seriously, then you have to take it seriously in both directions. If a European said something of this nature about an African, you would have a huge problem. “I am against racism in all directions.”
Saintfiet believes Keshi “is angry because of the request to change the venue,” but the Belgian stands by his feeling that Calabar is unsafe.
“If FIFA says it’s ok (for the match to be played in Calabar) because Nigeria will provide anti-bomb squads, then surely this is a problem at the beginning. If you need anti-bomb squads, you cannot consider the area safe. It is designated a non-travel area, high-risk area. We are not insulting anyone.”
Source: Punch Newspaper
Your Opinion Counts. Be sure To Leave A Comment, If You Have Any.
Please Like, Share or Tweet. Your Support Is Appreciated.
NIgeria Records 87 New Cases Of COVID-19, Total Infections Now 1,182
By Abujah Racheal
Nigeria has recorded 87 new cases of the COVID-19, bringing the total infections to 1,182 , according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The NCDC, in a tweet via its official handle, said 33 of the new infections were recorded in Lagos, 18 in Borno, 12 in Osun, nine in Katsina, four each in Kano and Ekiti, three each in Edo and Bauchi and one in Imo.
“As at 11:55 pm April 25, there are 1,182 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. The country’s total deaths from the virus now stand at 35, while 222 have been treated and discharged,” it said.
The centre said as at 11:55 pm, April 25, Lagos has 689, FCT-138, Kano-77, Ogun-35, Osun-32, Gombe-30, Katsina-30, Borno-30, Edo-22, Oyo-18, Kwara-11, Akwa Ibom-11, Bauchi-11, Kaduna-10, Ekiti-8 and Ondo-4.
Others are Delta-six, Rivers-three, Jigawa-two, Enugu-two, Niger-two, Abia-two, Zamfara-two, Sokoto-two, Benue-one, Anambra-one, Adamawa-one, Plateau-one and Imo-one.
87 new cases of #COVID19 have been reported;
33 in Lagos
18 in Borno
12 in Osun
9 in Katsina
4 in Kano
4 in Ekiti
3 in Edo
3 in Bauchi
1 in Imo
As at 11:55 pm 25th April there are 1182 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria.
Deaths: 35 pic.twitter.com/La5xzZZe2z
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) April 25, 2020
Sourced From: News Agency of Nigeria
2 Women Crushed To Death On Lagos – Ibadan Expressway
Two women were crushed to death in a road crash involving a Mack truck and a motorcycle around Lotto, beside NNPC filling station on the Lagos – Ibadan expressway.
The accident occurred around 8:02am on Saturday when the truck marked FST 984 XX lost its brakes and hit the moving motorcycle, killing the women.
The spokesperson of Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Abeokuta.
”The truck and the motorcycle were both on the outbound lane from Lagos when the crash happened due to break failure on the part of the truck driver.
“The vehicle and the motorcycle are with the police at the Redeemed Police Station, along with the driver of the truck,” he said. Akinbiyi explained that the rider of the motorcycle was nowhere to be found after the accident.
He disclosed that the remains of the deceased had been deposited at the morgue of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.
Sourced From: Daily Trust
Mentally-Challenged Man Axes 70-Year-Old Father To Death
A 37-year-old man said to be mentally-challenged has used an axe to kill his father, aged 70 in Unuchiana Village, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.
Tribune Online learnt that the suspect allegedly axed his father to death in their compound.
Confirming the incident in a statement, the Anambra State police command’s public relations officer, SP Haruna Mohammed, said one Timothy Ezeofor reported that his elder brother, 70-year-old Godwin Ezeofor, was allegedly murdered by his son, Chigorom Ezeofor using an axe.
According to Mohammed, at about 9:45am on Friday, one Mr Timothy Ezeofor of Umuezegoro Kindred, Unuchiana Village, reported at Aguata Police Station that at about 8:00am of same day, his elder brother, Godwin Ezeofor of the same address was murdered by his son, one Chigorom Ezeofor, of the same address using an axe.
He said the complainant alleged that the suspect had been mentally ill for the past eight years.
The police spokesman said following the report, police operatives attached to Aguata Division led by the DPO, CSP Ayeni Oluwadare, mobilised to scene and rushed the victim to the hospital where he was pronounced dead by a medical doctor and the corpse has been deposited at a hospital mortuary for autopsy.
He also said the suspect who “looks insane” had been arrested and taken to the station for investigation to ascertain circumstances surrounding the incident.
Sourced From: Tribune Online
COVID-19: Police Arrest Bishop For Defying Lockdown To Protest At Chinese Embassy In Lagos
By Chiemelie Ezeobi.
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested the General Overseer of Resurrection Praise Ministries for Africa alias Jehovah Sharp Sharp, Archbishop Samson Benjamin, for defying the lockdown order to protest at the Chinese Embassy in Lagos.
Benjamin, the police alleged, led about 100 persons to the Chinese Embassy in Victoria Island to protest the maltreatment of Nigerians in China.
According to the cleric, the Chinese were operating freely in Nigeria despite that COVID-19 started in their country but have chosen to maltreat Nigerians and other blacks in China.
It was gathered that officials of the embassy sent a video clip of the alleged invasion to the police which prompted operatives from Victoria Island Division to move to the scene to effect the arrest.
A police source who spoke on anonymity said the cleric was being detained at the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, (SCIID), Yaba and may be arraigned in court on Wednesday.
In the video, the bishop denied going to the embassy with 100 persons, insisting that he was there by himself to register his displeasure over the ill-treatment of Nigerians in China.
Efforts to reach the spokesman for the state police command, DSP Bala Elkana, proved abortive as he didn’t return the message sent to him as at press time.
Sourced From: THISDAYLIVE
NIgeria Records 87 New Cases Of COVID-19, Total Infections Now 1,182
Johnny Drille – Halleluyah Feat. Simi (Video)
Warri Boy In Lagos Nollywood Comedy
Why Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Recorded Increase Amidst COVID-19
Buhari Will Win In 2019: US Institute
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) has predicted that President Muhammadu Buhari will win the 2019 election. The organisation...
Why Buhari Deserves Second Term – Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has said that President Muhammadu Buhari deserved second term election because,...
Atiku Presidential Campaign Council: PDP Releases List of Members
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday released the list of party members to handle the campaign team of the...
Obasanjo Forgives Atiku, Endorses Him For President
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Thursday said he has reviewed his stance on not backing his former deputy for the...
Buhari, Atiku In Battle Of Integrity Over 2019 Poll
THE brickbats continued yesterday between President Muhammadu Buhari and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and...